As it turns out, Hall of Famer Charles Barkley won’t be the latest big name in sports to join the controversial LIV Golf Series. The 1992-1993 NBA MVP told the New York Post Friday morning that he has ended any future contract talks with the Saudi Arabia-funded breakaway golf league and will stay with TNT’s “Inside The NBA.”
“I want to thank Greg Norman and LIV for their interest in me,” Barkley said, per Andrew Marchand. “I wish those guys great success and nothing but the best. But, in my best interest, and being fair to Turner — because Turner and basketball have given me every single thing in my life — It is best for me to move on and I’m staying with Turner for the rest of my TV career.”
According to Marchand, “Sir Charles” has three years and $30 million remaining on his TNT deal and LIV hadn’t yet made him an offer. Barkley said on Monday that he wouldn’t join the league if he didn’t have an offer by Thursday.
The 59-year-old former 11-time All-Star told “The Dan Patrick Show” earlier this week that he would join LIV if the offer was to triple his salary. Barkley also revealed to the legendary sportscaster that he makes approximately $20 million per year between TNT and sponsorships.
Even without Barkley in the fold, it looks like the LIV Golf Series is here to stay. On Wednesday, it was reported that the league would be expanding to 14 events in 2023 with 48 players competing for over $400 million in payouts.